8 years ago
06 February 2009
Just to clarify
So, apparently when I wrote a couple weeks ago, I didn't actually explain how I broke my leg. I must have been on drugs or something. So, here's the story. I'm warning you, its not that interesting. It's way cooler to just say that I broke it skiing. But, by request, here goes.
This was my first time to Snow Basin (and probably my last) so I was pretty excited to try out all the different runs. The snow wasn't great because there wasn't any new snow and there hadn't been for over a week. It was nice and warm, too, so it was kind of icy. We (Matt and I) took a couple runs down, and things were going pretty well. I had even joked with him that I had never really hurt myself skiing before. . .knock on wood. Well, we started down a new run which looked pretty fun. There was a steeper part and I was going pretty fast. I think there was a lip or something that I didn't want to jump over going that fast, but I don't really know. All I know was that I was trying to slow down. With there being ice, it was harder than normal. The way that I was slowing down, I was heading into some sort of snow mound, and there might have been a rock or something, so I was trying to slow down even faster. Well, my ski must have got caught in the icy snow mound, because all of a sudden, my skis were stopped, but I kept twisting. I felt my leg break and I don't know what else exactly happened. My skis must have come out while I was twisting because they were in front of me when I was sitting down. Matt was ahead of me, so he didn't hear me scream. Luckily, there were a couple of guys behind me who heard. When they asked what happened, the only thing I could say was "I'm pretty sure I broke my tibia". Leave it to me to get technical when I hurt myself. They called ski patrol and then left. Yep, they left me by myself with a broken leg. How awesome is that. Ski patrol wasn't far behind, but still. So, I got to ride the toboggan down (not so fun) and it took forever, since we were towards the top of the whole resort. Unfortunately, Matt had left his cell phone in my car, so I left a pretty random message. He had no idea what had happened. he called Brooke, and she called me, then told him where I was. But, by this point, I was already in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Don't worry, of all the random things to think about, I left my keys with the ski patrol, and they gave him my stuff. So, he met me at the hospital. And that is about all I have to say. I told you it wasn't interesting. And I don't even have pictures to break up the monotony. Sorry.
Oh, and I'll clarify my previous post about the still broken bone. On the other x-ray, it is lined up, and since it is touching, it should grow together fine. And, since its not a weight bearing bone, I should be alright. I figure he knows what he's talking about, so I won't argue.
Well, sorry for the long and boring post. I'll try to have a better one next time, I'm just not doing much right now. Although, I have been out and about more since I have the boot. It is soooo nice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's weird how technical you can get when you're hurt. When I dislocated by shoulder playing football at the George Washington University intramural field the first thing I asked the ref was whether there was a "medic" around. Are you kidding me? A medic? Where did I think I was, Normandy? (Perhaps I had just watched Band of Brothers or some other WWII show.)
You give great details to bad I only understood about half of your technical terminology. Glad to hear that you are feeling better though. Can't wait to see you soon. Take care.
Post a Comment